Who Are Johnson & Johnson
Johnson & Johnson was founded by Robert Wood Johnson and his two younger siblings James Wood and Edward Mead - in New Brunswick, New Jersey in 1886 and since then has become a well respected company and a household name.
Johnson & Johnson are the worlds largest and most broadly based healthcare company, manufacturing of a wide range of products form medical and surgical supplies, baby products, household cleaning products and of course, contact lenses, to name a few.
ACUVUE® contact lenses by Johnson & Johnson need no introduction, they are the most trusted brand by Eye Care Professionals in the UK(1) and often asked for by name by first time contact lens wearers.
With a wide range of contact lenses in each wearing mode, and often with two fittings to choose from, whether you are looking for a extended wear contact lens or a daily disposable contact lens for sport, long hours of screen time usage or just occasional wear, then Acuvue will almost certainly have a lens to fit and suit your lifestyle.
The ACUVUE® contact lens brand has 6 unique innovations
- Invisible Edge - for maximum comfort and near invisible feel
- Moisture Infused (2) - For great hydration all day long
- UV Blocking - keeping eyes safer from the harmful sun rays
- Antioxidants - to aid comfort - with 4X the antioxidant capacity of Vitamin E2
- Pupil Optimisation - on Multifocal contact lenses, for clear vision near, far, and in between
- Eyelid Stabilisation - on Toric contact lenses - 4 stabilised zones to help keep the lens in place - even when blinking
What Types Of Lenses Do Johnson & Johnson Manufacturer
Johnson & Johnson manufacture a wide range of contact lenses available in traditional hydrogel and silicone hydrogel materials, with many of their ranges having two fitting options. They are one of only a few manufacturers to offer 2 weekly disposable contact lenses, which are ideal for people who like monthly contact lenses but want the health benefits of a daily disposable lens.
Johnson & Johnson also have a range of toric contact lenses for people with astigmatism and a mutifocal contact lenses for people with presbyopia in both daily or two weekly wearing modes
Daily Contact Lenses
Two Weekly Contact Lenses
Toric Contact Lenses for astigmatism,
Multifocal Contact Lenses for presbyopia
Where Can I Buy Johnson & Johnson Contact Lenses
Johnson & Johnsons' Acuvue contact lenses are available in almost all high street opticians, and available in over 60 countries around the world, so it’s very likely there is an Optometrist near you who can fit and prescribe Acuvue contact lenses. You will also find a wide range of Johnson & Johnson Acuvue contact lenses online through reputable contact lens websites.
Our Top Selling Johnson & Johnson Contact Lenses for
1 Day Acuvue Moist - A daily disposable contact lens with a combination of Etafilcon A and moisture rich Lacreon, creating a long-lasting smooth cushion throughout the lens, keeping moisture in and dryness at bay, making them an ideal choice for contact lens wearers who experience dry eyes.
Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear plus - A silicone hydrogel two weekly dispoable contact lens containing senofilcon A to provide unbelievable comfort even in
demanding conditions, such as in an air conditioned office, long hours of screen time, on a plane or long hours of wear. According to Johnson and Johnson they are the number 1 selling contact lens in the world (3)
Acuvue Oasys 1 Day with Hydraluxe Technology a daily wear disposable silicone hydrogel contact lens made from Senofilcon, using Johnson and Johnsons patented Hydraluxe technology, which is inspired by natural tears, and deliver superior vision and improved contrast sensitivity, helping to make subtle details more bright and crisp.
1 Day Acuvue Mosit for Astigmatism a daily disposable Toric contact lens for people with astigmatism incorporating an accelerated Stabilisation Design which
has four point stabilisation, providing crisp stable vision throughout the day as well as the imbedded Lacreon moisture technology providing blink resistant moisture retention, whilst helping to reduce irritation, giving great comfort throughout the day.
1 Day Acuvue Moist Multifocal a daily disposable multifocal contact lens for people with presbyopia. Made from breathable etafilcon A, with a unique, eye inspired back-curve design to help keep the lenses in place. Acuvue Moist Multifocal contact lenses are among the most advanced contcat lenses available for people with presbyopia.
Brief History of Johnson & Johnson
Johnson & Johnson's history is a long and detailed one, it starts back in 1886, but it's not until just over 100 years later that they launch Acuvue contact lenses. In the brief history below we focus on Johnson & Johnson's contact lens history, if you want to find out more about Johnson & Johnson's general history check out their detailed timeline.
- 1886 - Johnson and Johnson is founded by Robert Wood Johnson and his two younger siblings James Wood and Edward Mead - in New Brunswick, New Jersey
- 1987 - Introduction of Acuvue Contact lenses- the first disposable contact lenses
- 1993 - Johnson and Johnson launch 1 Day Acuvue - the worlds first Daily disposable contact lens, eliminating the need for cleaning and storing lenses
- 1998 - Accuve Bifocals were launched for people with presbyopia
- 1999 - Acuvue was released, the first two weekly contact lens, and approved for up to 1 week continuous wear
- 2005 - Johnson and Johnson launch Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear plus, a two weekly disposable silicone hydrogel contact lens
- 2006 - 1 Day Acuvue Moist daily disposable contact lenses are launched
- 2008 - 1 Day Acuvue TruEye - the world fist daily disposable silicone hydrogel contact lens is launched
- 2010 - 1 Day Acuvue Moist for Astigmatism is launched
- 2014 - 1 Day Acuvue Define to enhance your natural eye colour is launched
- 2015 - 1 Day Acuvue Moist Multifocal with a Pupil Size Optimized Design is released
- 2016 - Acuvue Oasys 1 Day with Hydralux - a tear inspired lens to relive tired eyes, also Acuvue Vita launched in the US, Acuvue's first monthly wear lens
- 2018 - Acuvue Oasys with Transitions Light Intelligent Technology is launched, another world first - a contact lens that quickly adjusts from clear to dark in response to changing light
Interesting Facts About Johnson & Johnson
One of the only brands of contact lenses to offer UV- blocking protection on all of their lenses
All lenses have a unique “123” inside out indicator
The name Acuvue comes from the two words Accurate View
Are Johnson & Johnson The Best Contact Lenses
Johnson & Johnson's Acuvue brand of contact lenses are widely recognised as the best brand of contact lenses both by eye care professionals (1) and contact lens wearers.
From the launch of the Acuvue contact lens brand in 1987 Johnson & Johnson has been recognised for their innovative technology and excellent performance.
Johnson & Johnson understands how important vision is to people, and has made it their mission to be the world's leading contact lens company, dedicated to creating products of the highest quality.
Every Acuvue contact lens includes UVA and UVB protection.
Acuvue have won many awards within the eye care industry including
Vision-X VP award for most popular Ophthalmic contact lens 2021(4) For 1 Day Acuvue Moist for astigmatism
The 2019 SILMO d’Or Award (5) for Acuvue Oasys with Transition Light intelligent Technology
What Are Two Weekly Disposable Contact Lenses
Two weekly, or, Bi-weekly disposable contact lens have been designed to be worn daily for up to 2 weeks. They are not designed for overnight wear, so, require removing, cleaning, and storing overnight.
Popular with Optometrists thanks to their “Goldilocks” factor, offering a balance between lower maintenance and higher comfort. Two weekly contact lenses are ideal for people who don’t want the higher price tag of dailies but find they get reduced wear or increased irritation towards the end of their monthly lens cycle.
Two weekly contact lenses have been designed to promote a comfortable wearing experience whilst increasing the oxygen flow into the eyes, and as they are disposed of after two weeks they can increase eye hygiene and health.
Are Are Johnson & Johnson Contact Lenses Good For Beginners
Yes, Johnson & Johnson Acuvue contact lenses are a great option for beginners, due to their unique “123” inside-out indicator, making it easy for beginners, and long term wearers to see if the lens is inside out prior to insertion.
- Acuvue.co.uk Survey among 1,250 Eye Care Professionals from the United States, United Kingdom, Russia, Japan, South Korea, China, France, and Germany conducted frAcuvue.co.ukom May 2021 to June 2021
- Acuvue.co.uk JJV Data on File 2020. ACUVUE® Brand - Eye-Inspired Innovations.
- Vision Plus Mag
John Dreyer Optometrist Bsc(Hons), MCOPTOM, DipCLP
John qualified from Aston University in 1980, he has authored for Contactlenses.co.uk over the last 20 years, bringing his expertise to visitors to the site and providing valuable optical advice to customer questions throughout the years. He has been featured by several leading publications including The Express and ITProPortal